How can I find out if it was ever registered?

rmcd2377

How can I find out if it was ever registered?

Post by rmcd2377 »

My dad had a Colt AR-15 SP1, 1977
He purchased it in 1986 from a guy in Arkansas (where we lived at the time) (I only know this because the bulk of sale was in the safe as well).
Dad passed away.
I took the gun to a gun show in Alabama (where I now live) and was informed that it had been modified to fully-automatic and is illegal.

How am I supposed to know WHEN the gun was altered? If it was altered before May of ‘86 that’s legal?
It would also need to have been registered and be one of those 630k “in the pool” for civilian ownership?

How am I supposed to ascertain this? 🤯

Thanks for any guidance.
Last edited by rmcd2377 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmcd2377

Re: How can I find out if it was ever registered?

Post by rmcd2377 »

So even if it was modified pre-1986 that wouldn’t matter.. And even if it’s in Alabama (which apparently has some more lenient laws)?
rmcd2377

Post by rmcd2377 »

i don’t remember exactly what he said (that was back in 2016). The only part that “stuck” was “Uh-oh! That should NOT be fully-automatic!”
I have also had another gun guy look at it (before that gun
show) and he offered to buy it and never mentioned it being full-auto.

(I’m a female and while I have and know how to use a handgun, I don’t know much about other types of guns.)

So... can you give me any guidance on what to look for / how to tell in what way it was modified?
rmcd2377

Post by rmcd2377 »

Well I reached out on Facebook to the wife of the guy who my dad bought the gun from. He remembered it well and said he’s kicked himself for NOT having registered any of his fully-automatic guns back then. He told me the AR had a drop-in sear; so happily it’s not a situation where I have to destroy the gun or anything drastic like that.

Thank goodness for bills of sale, and folks whose brainpower hasn’t diminished over the years!
rmcd2377

Post by rmcd2377 »

Ok. Thank you so much. I was thinking that pulling out the sear would fix everything 😂

Alright. I have a bit more homework to do.

Thanks!!